Aphid Control: Gardening is a real challenge because of the amount of work involved. Majority of the work, though, involves protecting the plants than growing them.
Just like having kids, plants need to be taken care of and treated for diseases and fed and so on.
They do not simply grow. Similar to kids they, too, need their regular checkups and medication so they do not get sick.
Like children’s viruses, plants are regularly attacked by pests, who feed on the plants, destroying them day by day.
One such pest is the aphid. Aphids are small insects that feed of plant sap, causing them to dehydrate and then eventually die.
Aphids are small sap-sucking insects and members of the superfamily Aphidoidea.
Common names include greenfly and blackfly, although individuals within a species can vary widely in colour. The group includes the fluffy white woolly aphids. (Source)
However, dehydration is not the only way it kills plants. When aphids suck the sap out of plants, they secrete a substance called honeydew.
This causes fungus to grow on the plant which acts as a parasite, sharing the plants resources, killing it faster.
As a result, for most gardeners and planters, aphids can be a real problem.
There are several pesticides to get maintain aphid control and get rid of the pests.
However, excessive use of these chemicals are not healthy to the plants.
Additionally, in the case of vegetable plants, the vegetables become almost unusable when pesticides are used. Fortunately there are other remedies that can be used for aphid control.
The Best Aphid Control
Natural Aphid Control Methods Cons & Pros
1- Neem Oil as Aphid Control
Using Neem oil is a good solution as it gets rid of aphids yet does not affect the growth of the plants in any way.
Simply washing vegetables and fruits will wash away the oil, making them good for consumption.
While maximising aphid control, the oil does not fend off insects such as bees which are useful to the growth of plants.
Another method of aphid control is to trick aphids using a yellow colored glass filled with water.
The yellow color will attract the aphids into the glass, drowning them instantly.
Soap on the surface of the water will help reduce the surface tension of the water, so that the light insects do not float on the surface.
100% made from non-toxic material, high and low temperature resistant and waterproof, controlling pests in a more Eco friendly and economical way, ideal for garden, farm and greenhouse use.
How to use ?
For trees or other large plants: Use the included wires to hang the yellow stick traps on the branches;
For small plants: Place the yellow stocky board tightly on a stick, and insert it into the underground. (source)
3- Pressured Hose for Aphid Control
Using a high pressured hose can also be used for aphid control. The pressure of the water will throw the aphids of the plants.
Once thrown off, the aphids are most likely not to return to the plant. This method of aphid control is safe as it does not involve any chemicals.
However, it is not as efficient as other treatments. It merely delays the aphids destroying the plants.
4- Home Made Aphid Control
A home remedy for aphid control is to use liquid soap such as hand-wash soap and spray the plants with the solution.
This dissolves the protective coating of the aphids causing them to dry up and die.
Here again, in the case of fruit or vegetable plants, they will have to be washed thoroughly before use.
Organic Neem Bliss 100% Pure Cold Pressed Neem Seed Oil
- Neem Bliss is 100% Cold-pressed pure Neem Oil, completely natural, totally free of chemicals
- OMRI Listed (For Organic Use). Used in Organic Farming.
- JUST ONE INGREDIENT - 100% Pure Neem Oil, natural, cold-pressed. 100% non-toxic.
- Very effective Indoor/ Outdoor Plant Spray-High Azadirachtin content
Kills and Repels Aphids, Whiteflies, Scale
- PROVEN RESULTS - Tested and proven to kill and repel soft bodied insects. Perfect for treating Aphids, Whiteflies, Scale, Spider Mites, Thrips, Gnats, and Leafhoppers
- HOUSEPLANTS - Safe for use indoors and outdoors. Spray directly on houseplants, flowers, shrubs, and trees
- NO FOUL ODORS - Botanical oils repel insects, not people!
- ALL NATURAL and SAFE - We use natural ingredients and botanical oils that are safe for pets, safe for people, and safe for the environment. Contains NO harmful chemicals or poisons
- EASY TO USE - No sticky traps or noxious fumes - simply spray on insects and on plants you want to protect. Ready-to-Use formula -no mixing or measuring required
Pest No More GP441 Aphid Trap
$11.45 in stock
- Non toxic, organic, child and pet safe
- No harmful chemicals
- Employs Yellow and Blue Color Based Technology
- 4 Traps Ber Box, 4 Twist Ties Included
- Aphid, Whitefly, Fungus Gnat Trap
Moonase 20 Pack Dual-Sided Yellow Sticky Traps for Flying Plant Insect Such as Fungus Gnats, Whiteflies, Aphids, Leafminers
- 20 Pack Sticky traps，Specially designed for flying plant pests that like yellow color and easily trap them.
- Made of ECO friendly materials, safe and Non-toxic, use indoors and outdoors.
- Great for capturing and attracts whiteflies, fungus gnats, blackflies, thrips, fruit flies, midges and other flying insects.
- Easy to Use, UV Resistant adhesive will not dry up, waterproof,heat resistant,can be used for any crop in any season. Lasts all the year round, even in rain, or until completely coated with insects or dust.
- Kindly Note：This product is for trapping flying plant insect only, good for outdoor plant or houseplant, but not applicable for other home pest in house / kitchen / garage like fruit flies, mosquitos and bugs.
BioCare S1501 Aphid & Whitefly Whitefly Trap, Brown
$8.52 in stock
- Double-sided sticky traps for protecting plants in your home, garden, and greenhouse
- Yellow color attracts aphids, whiteflies, spider mites, thrips, and other small flying insects
- Non-toxic and pesticide-free; safe to use around children, pets, and food
- Use 1 trap per infested group of 4 plants; replace every 3 months or sooner if full
- Includes 4 aphid and whitefly traps
Green Lacewing 1,000 Eggs - Good Bugs - Aphid Exterminator
- 1,000 Live Green Lacewing Eggs - A Great General Pest Predator!
- Each green lacewing larvae can consume up to 600 aphids in their larvae stage!
- You can release lacewings with other beneficial insects like ladybugs and praying mantis!!
debieborahtoys Dual-Sided Yellow Sticky Traps
$15.99 in stock
- Green and environmentally friendly, easy to use, reduce costs.
- PP material, strong adhesive, anti-sun and rain, can be used indoors and outdoors, air-proof, one can be used for about half a year.
- Highly effective to trap flying insects such as Fugus Gnats, Aphids, whiteflies, and leafminers.
- Easy to Use, waterproof,heat resistant,can be used for any crop in any season. Lasts all the year round, or until completely coated with insects or dust.
- Suitable for flower pots, vegetable plots, gardens, parks, courtyards, balconies, outdoor landscapes, flower pots.