Deer Fencing: Gardeners living in the country constantly have to deal with deer invasions and losing their prized crops and plants to these docile, but voracious animals.
There are many humane and eco-friendly ways to deal with deer problems in the garden.
Table of Contents
All about Deer Invasion
Before you try any of these available solutions, consider the size of your garden, budget, and the gravity of deer invasion.
Are you dealing with one or two occasional deer or are you dealing with a whole family of them?
Whatever solutions you decide on, just make sure they?re non-lethal and non-toxic, especially if you have little kids running around your property.
What are the Common Ways to Repel Deer
The most common ways to reper Deers are:
- Ultrasonic Sensors as Deer Protection
- Scent-Mark as Deer Protection
- Spraying Unappetizing flavors
- Most efficient Deer Protection: Barriers
Let’s detail each one of the above Deer Protection:
1# Ultrasonic Sensors as Deer Protection
Most people use ultrasonic sensors that detect motion and trigger alarms that involve light and high-frequency sound.
This plan is effective, but the downside is that it is possible for the deer to learn that the sound is not harmful to them.
2# Scent-Mark as Deer Protection
Some gardeners scent-mark their gardens with predator odors that make deer turn away.
However, similar to high-frequency sounds, deer are smarter than what people give them credit for and can learn that these smells don?t mean danger.
Later on, you?ll notice your visitors ignoring those scary predator scents.
3# Spraying Unappetizing flavors
Another method is spraying all of your plants with unappetizing flavors and growing plants that deer naturally don’t like. This approach works if you have plenty of time.
It also depends if you are willing to re-spray or reapply after every rain shower.
4# Most efficient Deer Protection: Barriers
Last, but perhaps the most efficient is setting up barriers.
Fences and nettings keep the animals out of your garden permanently, or at least for a longer term than the solutions mentioned above.
They are cheap, durable, easy-to-install, and flexible. You can also fold it away when you feel like it.
How to Use Deer Netting/ Deer Fencing ?
First, measure the areas that you want to enclose and purchase the desired length of mesh.
Install and place some buntings, so that the deer will see the barrier, instead of a garden-full of food.
Over time, the deer will stop trying to get into your property and eating your beloved plants. It is also a great deterrent for rabbits.
Garden Deer Netting and Protection Review
Check also our video review for Deer Protection for Gardens & Lawn:
Top Garden Netting Features & Review
Look for a mesh netting that is durable, has a warranty, and is the right height to prevent even the largest deer culprit from leaping into your property.
Here our Selection Top 3 Garden Netting for Deer Protection:
- DeerBlock Deer Netting and Fencing
- Gardeneer By Dalen DX-7 Deer-X Protective
- Ross Deer Netting and Deer Fencing Reusable
Let’s review each Deer Proctection Netting and Fencing with the main features of each one:
Deer fence netting protects crops and property from deer and other animals.
Comes in an easy-to-use roll and can be set up as a fence, plant cover or border.
Features a strong, yet lightweight material that will not rust, rot or corrode like metal or wood.
The black deer netting mesh design blends into the surroundings and attaches easily to trees and posts.
For deer fencing: place posts 6′ – 8′ apart around perimeter of area to be fenced. Stretch DeerBlock from post to post tying or stapling the mesh securely to each post.
For plant protection: drape Deerblock over shrubs, plantings, etc. Gather at base and tie or secure edges with heavy objects.
Features for DeerBlock Deer Netting and Fencing
- Tough durable deer netting; Protects landscape and crops from deer and other animals
- Economical, lightweight deer protection; Black UV-resistant deer netting
- Reusable mesh deer fence; Stops deer and other animals from eating shrubs, berries, and vegetables
- Easy to use roll of deer fence netting; Attaches easily to posts and trees
- Do it yourself deer netting for protecting trees, shrubs, orchards and crops
- Protects landscapes from deer
- Stops animals from damaging garden areas
- Easy to install, and reuse
Deer-X? helps protects shrubs, trees, and vegetable gardens from destructive deer.
The netting is a strong and durable 3/4″ polypropylene mesh with UV inhibitors for longer product life.
This netting provides an easy and affordable alternative to metal fencing.
Features for DeerBlock Deer Netting and Fencing
- Secures gardens, protects shrubs, and shields trees and flowers from deer
- Strong and durable 5/8 Inch mesh provides an easy and affordable alternative to chicken wire
- Drape around shrubbery, build a vertical fence, or build a slanted fence
- Safe and humane. Size: 7-Foot x 100-Foot
- UV inhibitors for long life
- Made from recycled materials
Protect your trees and shrubs from deer and other animals with Ross Deer Netting.
Drape over trees or create a netting fence to keep pesky animals from making a meal of your plants.
Lightweight and easy to handle, Deer Netting can be cut with scissors.
The UV-protected plastic mesh will not rust or rot and is durable enough to reuse season after season.
plant protection: drape Ross deer netting over shrubs, plantings, etc. Gather at base and tie or secure edges with heavy objects.
Features for Ross Deer Netting and Deer Fencing Reusable
- Deer netting stops plant and crop damage; Safe alternative to chemicals
- Economical, lightweight deer protection for gardens, plants, shrubs and trees
- Ideal for deer protection and fencing in your yard or garden
- Deer netting can be easily cut with scissors for placement over crops and individual shrubs
- UV-protected black plastic deer net; Will not rust or rot
- Safe alternative to chemicals
- Stops plant and crop damage
- Won’t harm animals
- Durable and reusable
- The UV-protected plastic mesh will not rust or rot