Ever wondered how higher altitude places can grow crops in their location’ Plants need enough heat and sun’s energy to grow.
However, for places that are located in the northern portion of the globe, this requirement may be difficult to attain because of the nature of their weather.
Thus, farmers in these places use the greenhouse method to be able to still successfully to grow good quality crops.
The 10 must-have GreenHouse Equipments
A greenhouse is an essential tool for any gardener, particularly those in cooler areas and can make a difference between your tomatoes ripening and you having fried green tomatoes!
A greenhouse is an enclosed structure where plants are being cultivated. This building is usually made of glass or plastic to trap the sun’s electromagnetic radiation to warm the plants and soil inside.
Having a greenhouse needs proper maintenance for a more productive crop growing. Different supplies are needed by greenhouse farmers to make this happen.
Start with these guide to Greenhouse 9 Points Check List to Build your Own Greenhouse.
There are different materials and greenhouse equipments needed for a greenhouse planting to be effective.
Here are some examples of the supplies you will need in case you are planning to build a greenhouse:
1. Heating and cooling thermostats
Since temperature is crucial to the efficiency of greenhouse structures, a thermostat is needed to be placed inside the building.
The best location to mount it is near the middle of the greenhouse and at plant height. Also, it would be best if both the cooling and heating thermostats are protected from direct contact with water and sunlight.
Thermostats is within the most important GreenHouse Equipments.
2. GreenHouse Equipments : Ventilation
The second of the list of recommended GreenHouse Equipments comes Ventilation .
Actually, Greenhouse temperature and humidity should be controlled to attain perfect growing conditions.
Thus, vents are needed to be able to get in more air for proper ventilation during warm seasons, or seal out air in colder times of the year.
Check our selection for The Top Greenhouse Ventilation System:
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: Out of stock
- VIVOSUN 6 Inch 252 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan, Mixed Flow Fan HVAC Exhaust Blower for Grow TentPrice: $39.99Was: $67.99
- Price: Out of stock
Types of Greenhouse Ventilation
There is a 2 types of Greenhouse Ventilation:
- Natural Ventilation
- Fan Ventilation
1- Natural Ventilation for Greenhouse
In order to let the nature does the work to vent your Greenhouse, you should consider invest or install Windows wih moveable louvers.
The natural Ventilation is a basic scientific fact based on heats and air moves.
Actually, the difference Air temperature between the inside and the outside of the Greenhouse create a pression/depression pushing the cooler or the hotter air into the greenhouse.
Note that you should install windows with moveable louvers in order to keep control of the temperature and the humidity of your greenhouse.
The main advantage of using Natural Ventilation for Greenhouse is “Free”. But you need to check the greenhouse multiple times in order to maintain the required temperature.
2- Fan Ventilation
When the Natural Ventilation is not enough for the Greenhouse, you should consider installing fans.
In addition to mother nature, fan ventilation is based on electricity in order to push the hot air outside the greenhouse.
You can set the fan ventilation to automate the temperature of the Greenhouse. It can save a lot of time. In the other hand, there is a cost coming with the price of Greenhouse Fan Ventilation engine and the electricity bills.
Check the following section for more information about Exhaut fans.
3. GreenHouse Equipments : Exhaust fans
For plants to grow healthier in your greenhouse, circulation fans are needed.
These fans even out the distribution of fresh air and heat inside the greenhouse.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $67.55Was: $95.00
- Price: $149.98
- Price: $122.95
4. Plant Watering System
The Fourth One of the Must have Greenhouse Equipment is Plant Watering system
Of course, aside from heat and fresh air, plants also need water to grow. You can always do the watering on your own by having water hoses long enough to reach all parts of the greenhouse.
Moreover, it would be best if you just have an automatic watering system so you don’t have to worry not having to water your plants when you are out.
This watering system should be placed on a shelf above the plants then connect the drippers to the circulation tubing.
Check the following GreenHouse Watering System. This set up is perfect for patio, atrium and greenhouse plants and can be adjusted to accommodate troughs, pots, hanging baskets and garden beds alike.
Products from Amazon.com
Simple Water Vs Drip Irrigation
Depending of your greenhouse’s dimension and what you want to do, you can two choices of Greenhouse irrigation: Simple Water for Greenhouses and Drip Greenhouse Irrigation.
Drip Greenhouse Irrigation
Drip Irrigation is composed by a base line and feeder lines. It can control the amount and the frequency of watering.
Note that each plant type needs a different frequency and a different amount of Water.
Greenhouse Simple watering
The hand watering of your greenhouse can a solution for small greenhouse.
A more sophisticated method is to use Capillary mats.
“Capillary matting divide the water from the bottom so that the plants are irrigated equally. The advantage of irrigation from the bottom of the plant is a better development of the roods in the pot.” (source)
The advantages of Watering System
It provides everything you need to apply emitter tubing in garden areas and spot watering to widely spaced plants.
Expand and customize your drip watering system. Save up to 70% in water savings which calculates into money in your pocket.
Steps for Installing Common Watering System
- Step 1: Cut the water pipe accordingto the length you need.
- Step 2: Connect the tee.
- Step 3: Connect tee with the atomizingnozzle.
- Step 4: Connect an end closure whenyou finish all atomizing nozzles’ installation.
- Step 5: Connect the pipe to tubing quickconnector.
- Step 6: Connect the tubing quickconnector with the universal connector. (source)
5. Benches and shelving
These pieces of garden furniture are needed to be able to place more plants in lesser space.
They are ideal for greenhouse owners doing gardening as a hobby.
Also, a good-sized working bench is needed for potting and repotting of plants.
For more lists of Benches and Shelving, check Common Gardening Tools with Names, Use and Pictures.
6. Lighting system
Having a good lighting system helps increase the speed of growth of plants as it provides plenty of light for longer periods of time.
Many Greenhouses use artificial light to keep up the control of the lightning provided to plants.
Products from Amazon.com
Read more about lighting system on Hydroponic Grow Lights
7. GreenHouse Equipments : Thermometers
To properly maintain the ideal conditions inside the greenhouse, you will need to monitor the different factors affecting your plants’ growth.
Different thermometers are needed for you to be able to track changes occurring inside the structure.
Examples of these thermometers are the regular thermometer, humidity gauge, soil thermometer and the light intensity meter.
Products from Amazon.com
8. Ground cover
To do this, you can have a ground cover as a floor to your greenhouse or cover it with soil, sand, brick and gravel.
Top 3 Ground Cover for GreenHouse
When it comes to your precious home garden, you should not compromise. Having the most durable, eco-friendly and professional tools and accessories is absolutely essential to your success.
That’s why it’s time to invest in a premium, pro weed barrier landscape fabric that will save you time, effort and your hard-earned money in the long run.
The ECOgardener elite weed control mat is designed with great attention to detail, in order to make sure that your plants are protected from weeds and that your soil retains its value.
By combining the advantages of woven and non-woven weed barrier fabric, ECOgardener has created the strongest, most advanced and most eco-friendly alternative for your home garden.
It combines the strength of heavy-duty, woven fabric with the moisture retention of non-woven fabric in order to provide extreme weed control and conserve soil moisture.
In addition, the pro garden weed barrier cloth is tremendously durable due to its thickness and high-quality materials.
Not only is the ECOgardener convenient and sturdy, it is also ideal for both cold and warm season thanks to its advanced, two- layered needle punched fabric.
Dewitt 6-Feet by 250-Feet Bulk 5-Ounce Woven Landscape Fabric
DeWitt Pro-5 Weed-Barrier 6ftx250ft Heaviest weight landscape fabric. A full 5oz/sq.yd. woven needle punch polypropylene fabric.
- DeWitt Pro-5 Weed-Barrier 6ftx250ft Heaviest weight landscape fabric
- woven needle punch polypropylene fabric
- This product is made in China
Agfabric Landscape Ground Cover 6x100ft Heavy Duty PP Woven Weed Barrier,Soil Erosion Control and UV stabilized, Plastic Mulch Weed Block
Agfabric weed control fabric helps with drainage and keeps the groud clean, landscape and guiding. Widely used for weed barrier, irrigation work, road paving, building project.
Agfabric landscape tarp performs well in filter, drainage, isolation, protection and reinforcement.
- Weed control cloth prevents direct sunlight. Strong structure of the fabric itself prevents weed or grass from going through, effectively inhibit the growth of weed or grass.
- Timely exclusion of ground water keeps the ground clean. Rapid drainage of surface water together with the pebble layer and sand layer under the ground cloth can effectively inhibit the reverse osmosis of soil particles.
- Laying structure of this woven fabric and the fabric itself ensures the air of the root has a certain degree of mobility. Great for the growth of plant roots, helps to prevent root from rot.
- Prevent the extra growth of potted roots. The ground cloth can prevent the roots of plants from drilling into the ground which helps improve the quality of potted plants.
- Woven fabric with one-way guidelines make the arrangements for plants in the greenhouse or outside pots.
9. Cycle timers
To be able to automate the Greenhouse Equipments you use in your greenhouse, you can also put a cycle timer which can accurately cycle the greenhouse equipments on and off time.
This is ideal for ventilation controls, irrigation, and misting.
With this timer, you do not have to worry going in and out of your greenhouse to turn the machines on and off.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $19.95
- Price: $14.05Was: $16.95
10. Greenhouse Books and reading materials
Continuous learning is essential for anything we do. Same goes with maintaining greenhouses.
You need to be well equipped with all the necessary requirements of having more productive plant cultivation in your greenhouse.
These books and magazines will also keep you updated of the latest news and recent technology releases about greenhouses.
Top 3 Recommended GreenHouse Books
Get a comprehensive overview of greenhouse gardening and gain the confidence to embark upon your own project
- Learn what greenhouse gardening is all about
- Get to know the different types of greenhouses and choose the one that suits your needs.
- Decide if you want to DIY, buy a ready-made kit or get a used greenhouse.
Set up your own greenhouse and save money by using inexpensive building methods
- Choose the best type of glazing, flooring and construction material for your greenhouse.*
- Learn how to heat your greenhouse and use ventilation to keep the humidity level just right.
- Learn how to utilize lighting and irrigate your plants for optimal growth.
- Get an overview of the essential equipment you need to keep your garden healthy.
*The book does not contain construction plans to build a greenhouse. It provides a comprehensive overview of available options on how to build a greenhouse.
Taste the pleasure of your homegrown food with easy to grow herbs, vegetables and fruit
- Learn how to schedule your plants for year-round gardening.
- Get an overview of how to grow different herbs, vegetables and fruits in your greenhouse.
- Integrate hydroponics into your greenhouse.
Identify potential problems with your plants and learn how to overcome them
- Understand how to maintain your greenhouse and care for your plants.
- Identify pests and diseases in your greenhouse and learn how to combat them.
Anyone purchasing a greenhouse should read this book first: Home Greenhouse Magazine
Do you want to enjoy homegrown tomatoes in the dead of winter ? Or grow succulents and cacti in the coldest parts of the world ? All you need is a greenhouse.
In The Greenhouse Gardener’s Manual, Roger Marshall shares the secrets of successfully growing vegetables, fruits, flowers, and houseplants in a well-maintained greenhouse.
You’ll learn how to choose the right design, create a healthy environment, use the space for propagation, and how to maintain the greenhouse year-round. Also includes profiles for the 70 best fruits and vegetables and the 88 best ornamental plants for growing inside a greenhouse.
In “Greenhouse Gardening : A Beginners Guide To Growing Fruit & Vegetables All Year Round” you will learn:
- How to buy a greenhouse whether new or used
- Choosign the best glass, floor, construction and foundation to ensure your greenhouse has a long life
- The difference between a greenhouse and a poly tunnel
- How to build a solid foundation for your greenhouse
- Why air-flow and cooling is so important and how to prevent humidity damaging your plants
- The best way to heat your greenhouse and the differences between the different heating systems
- How to irrigate your greenhouse to automatically water your plants and protect them from heat damage
- The difference between growing in the ground versus growing in containers
- To secure your greenhouse against the wind and protect it from damage
- How to start seedlings successfully in your greenhouse
- Growing tomatoes, chillies, peppers, citrus plants, squashes, cucumbers, grapes, tropical plants and more in your greenhouse
- Preparing your greenhouse for spring time
- Overwintering your greenhouse and extending your growing season
- Avoiding the potential problems associated with owning a greenhouse
- The potential diseases and pests you will encounter in your greenhouse
- How to ensure your plants are pollinated in your greenhouse
- Growing year round in your greenhouse
- The best way to clean your greenhouse to avoid potential problems
These are just some of the main supplies for your Greenhouse Equipment you need to have a well-maintained greenhouse.
There are several items available online or at your favorite garden supplies shop for your Greenhouse Equipments.
Take a look at them and determine which ones will be useful to your greenhouse.